TA Small Grants Program
The TLL Teaching Assistant Small Grants Program will provide funds (up to $500) for TAs to purchase materials that will allow them to enhance their recitations, tutorials, or lab sections. Teaching Assistants may also use the funds to implement and facilitate in-class activities for students during lecture. Materials may include (but are not limited to) lab supplies, technology, and demonstration materials.
It is expected that any non-consumable materials purchased with the award will remain with the corresponding MIT subject, instructor of record, or department. Funds may not be used for travel or food.
Applications for the Fall 2017 term are due by September 27, 2017. Awardees will be notified by Friday, October 6, 2017. Only TAs for fall subjects are eligible to apply.
Grant recipients will be expected to:
- discuss their section/lecture enhancements with TLL staff prior to implementation.
- invite TLL staff to observe their teaching and use of materials purchased with the funding at least once during the term.
- write and submit a reflective memo (500 words or less) on their experience and recommendations for future implementations.
Teaching Assistants must submit three documents:
- A narrative (500 words or less) describing the materials to be purchased, how the materials will help augment their teaching practice, and the anticipated student outcomes.
- A detailed budget outlining the materials to be purchased.
- A brief statement of support from the instructor of record.
Please use the templates provided on this page in the margin to the right.
Questions about the suitability of your funding request are welcome and should be directed Dipa Shah (firstname.lastname@example.org), Associate Director for Teaching and Learning. Application materials should be emailed to Dipa before 5:00 p.m.on Wednesday, September 27, 2017.