"In the Trenches"
"In the Trenches" is 7-seminar series designed specifically for TAs across the Institute who will be (1) leading recitation sections or other small-group learning experiences in Fall 2016; (2) who have limited teaching experience; and (3) would like a regular discussion group that focuses on issues related to their teaching.
Registration is open to TAs from any MIT subject or department. Sessions will meet every other Thursday during the semester from 2:30-4:00 p.m. beginning on Thursday, September 8th and attendance is required at all sessions. TLL facilitators will briefly present information on various teaching topics during meetings, but program content will be largely driven by participants' needs and interests. Most of the meeting time will be spent discussing teaching situations encountered by TAs and options for applying research-based best-practices to support learning in these situations. General topics of discussion will include:
- Classroom presentation skills (planning and organizing your presentation, coping with “stage fright”, etc.)
- Strategies to encourage student discussion and participation
- Tailoring recitation sections to meet the needs of students with varying levels of prior knowledge
- Encouraging the development of metacognitive skills in students
- Receiving and using student feedback to modify teaching techniques
Participants are encouraged to share what they learn with other TAs in their department.
To register, please submit an online reg form for "In the Trenches".