Leveraging Best Practices to Support Community, Wellbeing & Belonging
Additional Resources from TLL’s December Speaker Series Talk
- Office of Student Wellbeing (DSL)
- DoingWell.mit.edu (DSL)
- Flipping Failure (TLL)
- Community Wellness at MIT (MIT Medical)
TLL blog posts and pages
- Fostering Academic Wellbeing in the Classroom
- Mid-semester Formative Feedback (to support community, wellbeing, and belonging)
- Trauma-informed Teaching
- Academic Belonging
- Fresh Perspectives – video interviews with MIT faculty & instructors that highlight effective teaching techniques adopted during the 2020-2021 school year – that can be used moving forward.
Reports from other institutions
- Harvard: Report of the Harvard Future of Teaching and Learning (FTL) Task Force. Barat Anand, Chair, Spring 2022.
- Stanford: Lessons from Teaching and Learning at Stanford During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- CEEDA Report: Crisis and Catalyst: The impact of COVID-19 on global practice in engineering education. Ruth Graham, October 2022.
- Report of MIT’s RIC16 Ad Hoc Committee: Leveraging Best Practices from Remote Teaching for On-Campus Education, August 2022.
- MIT Strategic Action Plan for Belonging, Achievement, and Composition, 2022.
Works Cited in Presentation
Good, Rattan, & Dweck. (2012). Why do women opt out? Sense of belonging and women’s representation in mathematics. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 102, 700.
Lewis, Stout, Pollock, Finkelstein, & Ito, (2016). Fitting in or opting out: A review of key social-psychological factors influencing a sense of belonging for women in physics. Physical Review Physics Education Research, 12, 020110.
Walton, & Cohen. (2011). A Brief Social-Belonging Intervention Improves Academic and Health Outcomes of Minority Students. Science, 331(6023), 1447–1451. DOI: 10.1126/science.1198364
Ezarik, Melissa. (2022, May, 17). Professors’ Part in Maintaining Student Mental Health: Infographic. Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved 10/12/2022 from https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2022/05/17/seven-professor-actions-contribute-student-well-being-infographic#.Y2U-9K5zg84.link
Henry Arnaud, Celia. (2021, April 25). How an alternative grading system is improving student learning. Chemical Engineering News. Retrieved 11/07/2022 from https://cen.acs.org/education/undergraduate-education/alternative-grading-system-improving-student/99/i15
Hill, J., et al. (2021). “Pedagogic partnership in higher education: encountering emotion in learning and enhancing student wellbeing.” Journal of Geography in Higher Education 45(2): 167-185.
Mondisa, J-L, Wai-Ling Packard, B. & Montgomery, B.L. (2021). Understanding what STEM mentoring ecosystems need to thrive: A STEM-ME framework, Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, 29:1, 110-135, DOI: 10.1080/13611267.2021.1899588